Regular Overall Maintenance
- Fix squeaky doors
- Tighten loose knobs and latches
- Clean drains/traps
- Replace missing grout/caulk. Consider replacing old caulk with mildew resistant caulk
- Check ground fault interrupter outlets
- Check sinks and other plumbing for leaks
- Review family fire escape plan
- Inventory your house. In the event of a fire or other disaster, an itemized list will be vital
- Test all fire, smoke and carbon dioxide detectors and alarms (bi-annually)
- If you have a well, test water potability annually
- Exterior: Check wood trim and siding for paint and caulk repair
- Exterior Walls: Check exterior wood siding and trim for damage, looseness, missing or broken mortar
- Foundation: Check basement for dampness and leakage after wet weather
- Roof: Check flashing around roof stacks, vents and skylights
- Exterior Walls: Check painted surfaces for deterioration
- Heating and Cooling: Evaluate and service central air conditioning or humidifier every spring
- Roof: Check for damaged, loose, blistered or missing shingles.
- Foundation: Maintain grading sloped away from foundation walls.
- Plumbing: Check faucets, hose bibs and valves for leakage.